As most managers will tell you, finding and retaining "good" employees is not only a critical function of a business but one of the most difficult as well. In the cannabis industry, it may be twice as difficult. With all the hype, everyone is clamoring to get in with or without the necessary qualifications.
Various studies have estimated that it costs an average of 20-50% of annual wages each time a business replaces an employee depending on the particular job function. For an employee earning $30,000 a year, this may cost a business more than $6,000 in recruiting, training and lost productivity.
Just think about all the overtime that other employees need to work to pick up the slack or the additional time and costs that it takes managers to post ads, interview and train a new employee. This is not to mention the potential for errors due to the lack of knowledge of the company's methods and processes. Nutrient cycles may be incorrect, plants may not be flushed properly,flower may be over/under trimmed, etc. It takes time for a new employee to get up to speed.
How much time does it take you to advertise, find, screen, onboard and train a new employee? And given that most cannabis operations do not have dedicated human resource staff, all of these duties fall to the operational managers. Cultivation manager by day, recruiter by night.....
Here are a few things you can do to relieve all of these headaches:
Reduce Your Turnover
1) Ensure a professional work environment - This means no yelling at employees, holding people accountable (including managers) and maintaining standards consistently.
2) Provide fair compensation based on industry benchmarks. In fact, pay better than your competitors. You'll find that a small increase in payroll cost will save you in the long run.
3) Hire the right people - Ensure that prospective employees not only have the right skills for the job, but the right attitude that will fit in with your work culture.
Outsource Your Human Resource Workload
You'll never completely eliminate turnover and you also may not be ready to hire a human resources position or HR may just be overloaded. This is where CannaBOS can help. Our temp staffing solution can assist you with:
1) We do all the recruiting and scheduling of staff.
2) We're able to do it on short notice.
3) We can do short or long-term assignments.
4) There are no long-term commitments.
5) We provide the flexibility to add or reduce staff as necessary, day by day.
6) We take care of pay as well as all necessary taxes, insurance and benefits.
Give us a call at (775) 525-1398 or email me at email@example.com and we can give you more detail on how we can save you time and money.
Check out our other articles here for further info on employment issues and what you should be aware of to ensure your cannabusiness operates efficiently and in compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations.